Friday, October 21, 2011

Fallen by Lauren Kate

Rating: ☆☆ [2]
Release date: Dec. 8, 2009
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Format: paperback
Source: bought
Pages: 452
Series: Fallen (#1)
Challenge: --
Summary: 
There's something achingly familiar about Daniel Grigori.

Mysterious and aloof, he captures Luce Price's attention from the moment she seems him on her first day at Sword & Cross boarding school in Savannah. He's the one bright spot in a place where cell phones are forbidden, the other students are screwups, and security cameras watch every move.

Except Daniel wants nothing to do with Luce-he goes out of his way to make that very clear. But she can't let it go. Drawn to him like a moth to a flame, Luce has to find out what Daniel is so desperate to keep secret...even if it kills her.
I'm still not exactly sure how I feel about this book. I didn't particularly like it nor did I dislike it, and I had a hard time rating it. Overall, it was mostly an okay book, although there were some parts of the book when I wanted to smack the main character, Luce, because she was missing the obvious or she was just acting dumb in general.

I think a big reason why I didn't like Fallen was because it was pretty predictable. I felt as if I had read it before. I mean, I didn't even find the main love interest that entertaining. Daniel doesn't really stand out compared to some of the other love interests from other books of the same genre. I felt like the book had a lot of overused cliches.

But despite that, there was still something about the book that made me want to keep reading - even if I wasn't exactly in a rush to finish. Even though this one didn't impress me too much, I'll probably keep reading the series. The ending wasn't all that bad, and it actually left me interested to find out what happens next. Plus, I really want to know what happens to a couple of the side characters. So if I end up seeing the sequel in the store or at the library, I'll probably pick it up. However, if you're interested in starting this series, I suggest that you borrow Fallen from the library to find out if you like it first rather than buy it right away.

9 comments:

  1. I first read it during the Fallen craze and I thought I liked it a lot. But as I think about it now...I kinda identify with what you said. I read Torment, but I probably won't read Passion unless someone chucks it at me. It really was predictable. Maybe its the whole angel thing that made me starry-eyed? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha it probably was! I know it made me kind of starry-eyed too. Thanks a lot for taking the time to comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this book ages ago and still haven't picked it up to read, maybe the mood will strike sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopefully you'll enjoy it when you actually get around to reading it. Thanks for commenting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I felt the same way about Fallen. I think Lauren Kate's writing is what makes you want to keep reading but the plot is just sort of meh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Last comment for the now! I promise! I read this book before I'd read a lot of YA paranormal, and really liked it. I have a feeling if I read it now after reading Silence, Twilight, Vampire Academy, Evernight, and countless others it'd annoy me, but at the time I loved it... and I really love the cover :D

    I don't think you're alone, though. It's a pretty divisive book. I've seen just as many people like it as those who don't... possibly even more people who hated it than liked it.

    I agree with you: def. borrow from library first (I did!). Fab review. Ta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks a lot for the comments! You're awesome! :D

    I think that if I had read it before I actually really got into the paranormal genre, then I would have liked it a lot more. But as it is now, the whole time I read it, I just couldn't stop comparing it to other books.

    I love the cover too, though! In fact, I think the other books in the series have amazing covers - especially Rapture!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness, Rapture is GORGEOUS. I LOVE the covers... except for Passion, which I find a little creepy, for some reason. It's a mixture of the girl's face, which is photoshopped in (I've seen the original image), and her bony arms, and she's SO SKINNY. SCARY SKINNY.

    ANYWAYS! I'm doing the comment SPAM again! Going back to work now!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, Passion is a little bit freaky compared to the others.. And I didn't know she was photoshopped in? I guess that would explain why she looks so awkward...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :) I really appreciate it, and I do try to visit back in return!