Saturday, December 10, 2011

The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Rating:  ☆☆☆☆ [4]
Release date: Sept. 7, 2012
Publisher: Little Brown/Poppy
Format: hardback
Source: library
Pages: 280
Series: --
Challenge: --
Summary: 
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn't think she's the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She's also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her "the Duff," she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren't so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn't such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she's falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
I'm sure most of us can say that at one point in time we've felt like we were the DUFF - designated ugly fat friend - of our group of friends. I know I have, and that's probably why I was so attracted to this book in the first place. It sounded like something I could really relate to.

At times, I wasn't sure if I hated Bianca or if I loved her. Honestly, it was really great to see such an aggressive and cynical character, but at the same time it kind of appalled me. Some of the things she did were really outrageous, but I come from a pretty straight and narrow upbringing, so that might have just been me. In the end, though, I really liked her. I loved how she wasn't afraid to do anything or say what was on her mind.

I also really liked the chemistry between Wesley and Bianca. The way they interacted with each other was just so entertaining. It wasn't all just about mushy feelings, in fact, a lot of it was them insulting each other and having a good time.

If you're of the younger audience, then I'd advise that you probably steer clear of this. There's quite a bit of sex in it, and while it's not too graphic, it turned even me off. This book really tackles some mature themes, and Keplinger hits them head on.

3 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book for a while now, but wasn't sure if it would be good or not. Your review makes it seem pretty good, so I think I'm going to have to give it a chance.
    I'm following back! (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you should definitely read it! Hopefully you'll end up liking it.
    Thanks for the follow! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book is by far, one of the best I have read this year. It's not fluffy and sweet but it is so real. The relationship of Bianca and Wesley starts as physical and works its way deeper until they discover the secrets each of them are keeping. Kody Keplinger, a teenager herself, did a fabulous job depicting the drama that goes along with teenage life. Her writing flows all the way through the story. I had to force myself to sleep after I had picked it up.

    Bianca is sarcastic and not afraid to speak her mind. She was such an interesting character and I found myself really able to connect with her. Wesley is the "man-whore" of the school but most of what he seems on the outside is there to hide other issues he keeps hidden. Bianca's friends Casey and Jessica were loyal and caring regardless of how isolated Bianca tried to be. I think most teenagers hope for friends like that.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :) I really appreciate it, and I do try to visit back in return!