Wednesday, November 9, 2011

A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Rating: ★★★★★ [5]
Release date: first published 1859
Format: paperback
Source: school
Pages: 304
Series: --
Challenge: --
Summary: 
With his sublime parting words, "It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done..." Sidney Carton joins that exhalted group of Dickensian characters who have earned a permanent place in the popular literary imagination. His dramatic story, set against the volcanic fury of the French Revolution and pervaded by the ominous rumble of the death carts trundling toward the guillotine, is the heart-stirring tale of a heroic soul in an age gone mad. A masterful pageant of idealism, love, and adventure — in a Paris bursting with revolutionary frenzy, and a London alive with anxious anticipation — A Tale of Two Cities is one of Dickens's most energetic and exciting works. (from Goodreads)

Alright, so I know that this isn't a YA book, but I just had to review this because I really wanted to get my thoughts down. This book was honestly really hard to get into it, because I wasn't at all used to the language nor the writing. Plus, the way the story is told is very confusing; it jumps around from character to character and you have no idea what's going on.

But if you're currently reading this and are thinking of setting this book down, don't do it. It's worth it, trust me.

In the middle, it gradually starts getting better (or maybe I was just finally getting used to the language, I don't know.) By the time you are at the end, everything comes so perfectly together, and you'll see that everything happened for a reason. The ending, ugh, it was just so perfect. It was, for me, one of the most memorable endings I've ever read, and I know that it'll stick around with me for a long time.

And the characters are great, too. I had strong emotions about each and every one of them (maybe with the exception of Lucie; she was okay), which is, in my opinion, great. I love books that have me actually caring about the characters.

And seeing how the characters grew was fantastic. For example, Sydney Carton. At the beginning of the book, he was just like "meh" to me, but at the end, he was one of my favorite characters. But I'll stop rambling now. Anyways, this book was super awesome and honestly had me thinking. Don't get turned off by the language if you find it hard to read! Just keep going; it gets a whole lot better. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment. :) I really appreciate it, and I do try to visit back in return!